Monday, August 10, 2009

boys' bow-ties

I sew all the time for my girls and I finally found something I can sew for my boys: bow-ties. Now, bow-ties don't fit every boys' style, but they happen to fit my six-year old's style quite well--he's kind of the serious type. His two year old brother has started to like them only because big brother likes them. Although the two year old can't keep them on because he runs around so much as seen with it falling off in this picture:I've made them for several holidays with just scraps of fabric.
I put them on the boys' collars with an alligator clip.
Here are the instructions:

1. cut two rectangular pieces of fabric about 3 inches by 5 inches
2. sew those right sides together --leave the bottom unsewn about an inch in the center and turn right side out, press
3. cut two more rectangular pieces of fabric about 2 inches by 4 inches
4. repeat #2 with these pieces
5. cut a strip of fabric about 1 1/2 inches by 5 inches
6. fold the strip in half lengthwise with the right sides together
7. sew along the long side and turn inside out, press
8. stack smaller rectangle on top of larger rectangle and wrap the strip around while pinching the rectangles into a bow, sew strip closed in the back, cut excess

No comments:

Post a Comment